Welcome to my Work In Progress, code name KJ. 😎
What is KJ?
I would love to share EVERYTHING with you, but I’m limited in what I can divulge. Two reasons:
- I want to leave some suspense for when you actually read the book. If I say too much now, I’ll spoil all the good parts. 😉
- Things change. In the writing process, the editing process, and the publishing process. So it doesn’t make sense to talk about something that may not exist next week or next draft.
But here’s what you CAN know:
- Four books
- Realistic medieval fantasy
- Flawed characters
- Themes and messages relevant to now
- Swords and bows and herbal remedies and castles and horses and all that good stuff 😁
(If that’s not enough, you can go check out one of their 12 Pinterest boards.)
How did KJ start?
To be honest, I don’t even remember. My very first draft of KJ dates from 2008, when I was twelve. And who knows what was going on in my head when I was twelve. 😜 Even though I’ve gone back and looked through my journals from that time, I can’t find any suggestion of what gave me the initial idea.
(I guess that makes them orphan books — no parents, no known birth date. Kinda like the main characters . . .)
I’ve started and stopped with this project many times over the years. Some elements have stayed the same, a lot have changed. Now I’m starting again, for what I pray is the last time!
When will KJ be published?
I wish I could say tomorrow. 🙂 My hope is to finish at least the rough draft of Book One by the end of this year.
I say “hope” because I have a few obstacles between me and writing, namely
- a wrist that currently doesn’t like typing (tendonitis)
- some chronic health struggles that include fatigue and occasional brain fog
- grad classes resuming in the fall.
BUT, I also have the power of prayer and lots of motivating factors to get these books written:
- You. 😊 Many of my friends have been asking about my next book. You all have been very patient! It’s my hope to put something in your waiting hands soon!
- Current events. Even before 2020 started, I planned to use the stories of KJ to explore themes and convey messages I’m passionate about. Recent events have reminded me how much these messages need to be heard.
- It’s time. Imagine living with an entire cast of characters (and their whole world) in your head for 12 years. I love them, I really do, but it’s getting a little crowded in here, and other books are asking to be written. Time to kick these guys out!
- The green light. Early this summer I agonized about whether I should start this four-book endeavor or not. God made it clear I need to just start. So I’m starting!
What are YOU working on? Any projects (writing or non-writing) you’d like to share? Let me know in the comments, I’d love to hear!
One thought on “Meet the Project”
Pingback: Project Update | Melissa J. Troutman