My name is Melissa, and I’m a multi-genre writer, voracious reader, and language teacher from small-town New Jersey. I have a bachelor’s degree in English and am currently studying for my master’s in TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language).
My writing journey began as soon as I could put words on paper. My publishing journey began in 2009, when my short story “The True Gift” won a contest hosted by The Old Schoolhouse magazine. My firstborn novel was published in 2013, and through my four years of college I wrote and edited many articles for my university’s news page (including my personal journey through the Literature Capstone class). In 2017, the online magazine Unravel published my creative non-fiction essay “The Second Soul,” and in 2018 I began working as a freelance writer for the AbekAmazing magazine. I’m currently revising a fantasy novel with a friend and developing my own four-book fantasy series.
When I’m not writing, working, or studying, you can predictably find me reading a book, playing piano, practicing guitar, spending time with friends, or helping at my church.
If you have any questions or would like to learn more about my books, please feel free to contact me. I would love to hear from you!
Some random facts in case you’d like to learn more about the writer:
- Favorite movies: Lord of the Rings, Rogue One, Courageous, The Dark Knight trilogy, Beauty and the Beast, Pete’s Dragon, BBC’s Sherlock, Sue Thomas, F.B.Eye
- Favorite authors: Megan Whalen Turner, J.R.R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, John Flanagan, Shannon Hale, Markus Zusak, William Shakespeare, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Lloyd Alexander
- Favorite snacks: dark chocolate, Cheez-its, chips and salsa
- Favorite ice cream flavor: mint chocolate chip
- Favorite animals: cats, horses, rabbits, otters, dogs
- Favorite composers: John Williams, J. S. Bach, Howard Shore, Kyle Landry, Joaquín Rodrigo, Audiomachine
- Former/future lives: FBI agent, actress, martial artist, nurse, horse rider under a big sky
- Favorite Bible verse: Isaiah 55:8-9, “‘For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways,’ says the LORD. ‘For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.'”